What this blog is about:






“This blog is about making small and thoughtful changes towards living an intentional life.”


That is what I wrote down to start out this blog post.  But that is not really true.  I would not recommend that anybody try the crazy stuff that Steph and I are going to try this year. Going without a car is not small and thoughtful change. And what does "an intentional life" even mean? Did I get that from a Hallmark card?

This blog is not about becoming better people, it is about making it through a year of self-imposed hardship that everyone has been unanimous in telling us is a pretty bad idea.  Our mendicant year.


This is about our family’s journey around Minneapolis without a car.  Maybe we are going to become shiny people with fat bank accounts and skinny, ab-filled bodies.  (which, honestly, would be really, really cool)   But most likely not.  A more likely scenario is that we end up bedraggled and shivering on our way home from church when it is raining outside and all we have to ride in is a lousy bike with no roof or roll up windows.

So far Darcy likes our experiment.
What I am saying is, our little experiment is not a sure thing at all.  So, if you are looking for a confident guide to how to become an amazing, shiny person with six pack abs and no debt, all through the power of biking, this is not the blog for you.  Instead, you should read any of the fine books by Joel Osteen. You can find them here, on Amazon, for a really good deal.

You should definitely not follow the advice we give or the example we lead.  Seriously. Our example might be hazardous.  


Reading this blog is not going to be a turning point in your life.  You will not stare thoughtfully at your significant other and say, “Wow, that Minneapolis bike family, they sure have a good idea there!”  This blog is more like “The Far Side” and less like “Becoming a Better You” ( But folks, "Becoming a Better You" is only $6.95 for hardcover on Amazon. Think about it! A better you is only six dollars and ninety five cents away!)


Here is a picture of Steph and I trying to get the perfect selfie.  This is not the perfect selfie.

Instead, think of this space as a travel blog about a family that really doesn’t travel all that much.  Or an adventure blog about a family whose big adventures might consist of getting rained on a lot.  A little window where you can peer into our lives as we try and figure out what to do next.  You can even shake your heads slowly and cluck your tongues when you read the blog.  I’d even recommend it.  


So here is my promise to you:  


I am going to try and be honest about what I am writing.  

Of course, I will embellish a little bit, because that is how I write.  But the main thrust of what I am saying, that is going to be straightforward.  And true.  If something really sucks, I am going to tell you it sucks.  And if something is really awesome, I will tell you that too.

So keep coming back, because this is about to get real.

And follow the blog. Because, honestly, we have zero followers, and I have been writing for like, a week. I mean, come on boys, focus. You can do this. Follow the blog already.

Comments

  1. Bill, I don't know how to follow you on the blog website. I am a little amazed every time I figure out how to find it. Can you just mail me written copies in the mail? Then I just need to go to the mailbox and find it inside with my junk mail. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or I could figure out how to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just figured out how to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a blue button you push. there you go. you got it. thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue button doesn't show up in the Android phone version of your blog, but I'll get on a computer and follow you. Keep writing! I'm ghost following you. Also you guys use a Chariot pull behind. Does it have shocks? Do you recommend them? Christine's trailer has shocks, mine doesn't and Charles doesn't like when I go fast. I wonder if it's too bumpy when you go fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, yes, our Chariot has shocks. And yes, it is recommended. Lewis falls asleep back there all the time (I don't think he would without the shocks).

      Delete
  6. Hello! Another 2011 UMN Law Grad over here. I found your blog through someone else's FB comment (Hi Michael Anderson). I just wanted to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and that it is making me reconsider all of my previously-held excuses for not biking more with two small kids. I do have one question -- do your kids ever ride alongside you? Do you prefer to tow them? I have a five and a seven year old, and they are . . . bike-hesitant. I'd love to ride more with them to the grocery store, etc., but fear that it would be like herding suicidal ducks. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaand, you literally answered my next question in the next post. Whoops. I'd still like to hear your long-term plans for this, though!

      Delete
    2. Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your comments.
      Our kids do love to ride their own bikes, and do frequently. Really we only tow them if there is a good reason (too far, in a hurry, or they request a ride). Darcy is only 3 and rides a strider bike without pedals- so she averages about 5-6 miles per hour- and her range is like 1.5 miles. But sounds like your kids can go a little faster and further. It can be tricky to ride with kids on the road, even if its a designated bike boulevard. I try to stay on bike specific trails, or quiet neighborhood roads, and I have Grant ride on the right side next to me, so I can give him lots of direction as we ride. Not sure if I addressed your concerns completely...but keep reading the blog for more ideas!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Steph! We have also been sticking to quiet roads. I'm a little nervous to branch out with them on their own bikes (especially as they're just learning balance/braking). But I'll keep at it. I love reading the blog. Keep it up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts